In this months newsletter we introduce you to our new "what is extra virgin olive oil?" website, provide a great egg-free chocolate mousse and bring a fantastic article by TV chef Fast Ed.
We've received some great feedback already from our 2015 Harvest, both from customers and from the lab. The lab has placed a very long best before date of two and a half years on it which is a good reflection of its quality. We have decided to reintroduce the 10L bag-in-box this year which is available for local orders for $110. Just fill out the form on our 'Goolwa Orders' page if you would like to order this size.
Celebrity chef 'Fast Ed' has written a well researched article on olive oil in Australia and can be found by clicking on the link below and scrolling through to page 75 where the article begins. The main points from his article are:
- Australians consume more olive oil per person than any other country outside of the Mediterranean
- 95% of Australian olive oil is Extra Virgin grade, while over 50% of imported olive oil fails basic tests for quality (despite being labelled as 'Extra Virgin'). This means they have zero health benefits and are essentially vegetable oils labelled as 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil'
- The Australian Government can change all this by making the current voluntary standard compulsory. This would really annoy Spain and Italy who are the main culprits for dumping adulterated, falsely labeled olive oil on our shores and hence the Government is reluctant to do this. In the mean time Australian growers are severely disadvantaged and Australian consumers are being duped at the checkout.
150g premium dark chocolate
100ml Seaview Grove EVOO
250g thickened cream
1. Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir until melted.
2. Stir in the extra virgin olive oil.
3. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until thickened. Gently fold the cream into the melted chocolate.
4. Serve in a nice glass topped with fresh berries and enjoy!